Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sketchcrawl SF 2


I kinda missed out on the last sketchcrawl back in October due to the APE convention but last weekend I was fully committed to the Japantown crawl. I hooked up with Jamie and Julia before winding down over coffee with Enrico and Ronnie.  We spent a pleasurable hour after the event looking through all the other crawlers' sketchbooks.  Great turn out this time - around 60 people I'm told.

I literally warmed up in the glorious winter sunshine with a sketch of the pagoda.  The subject seemed suited to a vertical format and more 'Eastern' style of drawing. . . I was drawing into the sun which threw everything into stark silhouette.

I was fascinated by the people and signs of Japantown.


Jamie and I discovered this building with a curious mix of Eastern and Western architectural details.

11 comments:

Matthew Cruickshank said...

Sunshine-remind me again what that is?!

Are they all as MAD in Japantown?

James Baker said...

Nice stuff, Matt.

Matt Jones said...

Cheers boys! We're having a great run of hot, sunny days right now- perfect for al fresco sketching.
Japantown appears to be one of the saner parts of SF.

Unknown said...

I'll have to come visit you for a sketchcrawl someday.
I like the new avatar!

Matt Jones said...

Oui, bien sur. Avatar portrait by Pete Sohn!

merf said...

fantastic Japanese people and animals,love the black dog and the pigeons eye.

Unknown said...

beautiful lively sketches!!

Aritul said...

Love the sketchers. Your work keeps me coming back.

Kendra Melton said...

these are great, especially love the handling of the East/West Building

Matt Jones said...

Many thanks for the comments folks.

Ems said...

very nice sketches, mr jones. I really like the funny guy with the glasses and drink

E