Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Renaissance Men

Last week Dutch interior designer/DJ Gur-B was in town.  Normally he likes to check out designer vinyl toys and graphic design bookshops so I thought I'd show him some real drawings for a change.















We headed over to the British Museum to check out the Renaissance Drawings exhibition.  There were prime morsels on show by all the Ninja Turtles; Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo & Donatello but I was more intrigued by a statuesque transvestite who was eyeing up the chiselled torsos on show.  S/he looked like this:












After we'd looked at 100 pictures of pretty ladies with their heads cocked to one side we headed to the Prints & Drawings room where we donned white gloves & dug out some dusty old boxes of original Ronald Searle drawings which were much funnier.

14 comments:

bazza said...

Hi Matt. I saw one of those Leonardo cartoons at the British Museum. I just didn't get the joke. Boom, boom!

gur-B said...

I haven't laughed this much in ages !
The Cookie crisp outfit and pose are hilarious.

On a serious note, I enjoyed the tour tremendously and it woke me up, out of digital and mental slumber feeling totally turtalised again.

I will kick some shell and make some real drawings myself !


Now,shall I go for the purple or pinkish coffee table...

Elliot said...

Hey Matt

Good to meet up with you and to meet Gur-B.

Matthew Cruickshank said...

Did Gur-b at any time eat chicken?

Matt Jones said...

I remember eating some strange Greek pasta at a late hour with GurB & Elliot (above) but no chicken . . .

gur-B said...

Hey Elliot, it was nice to meet you too, hope to meet you again in a less dopey state of mind & thanks for the Greek.

(Thanks for letting me use your comment box Matt)

Heather Dixon said...

Your sketches blow my brains out. Fantastic!

Matt Jones said...

Thanks Heather, I hope you're feeling better?

Ashley Boddy said...

Was the s/he comparing chiseled torso?

Matt Jones said...

That exhibition confused me-the drawings of women looked like men and the real women were actually men!
Art history is a minefield, 2000 years of gender crossing . . .

stefan marjoram said...

Haha, sounds like a fun trip. Love the drawings. I had no idea you could rootle around in the museum's boxes.

Matt Jones said...

Sure, you can request to look at anything. TateBritain have a similar 'study room'- you can dig out Turner's sketchbooks if you want!

Rosie said...

I know who that...er...lady is. She was wearing pink?

Matt Jones said...

Leopard print . . . maybe pink undies?